A delightful and aromatic curry featuring succulent prawns cooked to perfection in a wok. Simmered in a rich tomato and coconut milk sauce, this dish is served over fragrant jasmine rice and garnished with fresh coriander sprouts and sliced red chili for a spicy kick.
- 1 pound large prawns (shrimp), peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Red chili peppers, sliced (for garnish)
- Fresh coriander sprouts or cilantro leaves (for garnish)
- Jasmine rice, cooked (for serving)
- Sauté the Aromatics: Heat the wok over medium-high heat and add the vegetable oil. Add the finely chopped onion, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Stir-fry for a few minutes until the onions become translucent and fragrant.
- Add the Curry Powder: Sprinkle the curry powder over the sautéed aromatics and stir-fry for about a minute until it becomes fragrant. Adjust the amount of curry powder to your desired level of spiciness.
- Cook the Prawns: Add the peeled and deveined prawns to the wok. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until the prawns turn pink and opaque. Remove the prawns from the wok and set them aside.
- Prepare the Curry Sauce: In the same wok, add the diced tomatoes (with their juice) and coconut milk. Stir to combine, and let the mixture simmer for about 5-7 minutes, allowing it to thicken.
- Season and Return Prawns: Season the curry sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Return the cooked prawns to the wok and simmer for an additional 2 minutes until everything is heated through.
- Serve: To serve, spoon the Tomato Prawn Curry over jasmine rice on individual plates. Garnish with fresh coriander sprouts or cilantro leaves for a burst of freshness and sliced red chili peppers for an extra kick.
This Tomato Prawn Curry with Coriander Sprouts and Red Chili is a flavorful and aromatic dish that pairs perfectly with fragrant jasmine rice. Enjoy your homemade wok-cooked curry!